What if you could predict the future and pretty much guarantee that you’ll get a promotion at work in the new year. Would you be willing to make an investment for a sure bet?
Over the past 25 years, I’ve coached dozens of leaders who have achieved amazing levels of success. Here’s what I’ve learned from this experience.
- Successful leaders communicate effectively and persuasively up, down, and across the organization.
- Confidence is key. You can’t let other people see you sweat, but you can sweat in front of your coach.
- Critical thinking and the ability to quickly make solid decisions are required skills for those looking to promote.
- Strong relationships and a team of advocates behind you will land you a promotion faster than someone who may be more technically sound than you.
- Leadership is about perception. You may think you’re the greatest at something but if no one else agrees, what you think doesn’t matter.
- The people who I see promote the fastest are those who are vulnerable. They’re willing to admit their faults and work on correcting those behaviors that are holding them back.
- Everyone deserves a great boss and/or co-worker. Be that person for someone else.
- Getting promoted doesn’t mean you have to be a leader. If you have no interest in managing people, then don’t.
- Get comfortable with change. Don’t let the words change management scare you. A day doesn’t go by when leaders are not managing change.
- There is no better investment than in yourself.
- No one gets to the top alone.
- When opportunity knocks, you must be ready. Otherwise, your manager will knock on someone else’s door.
- Being labeled as a high potential (HIPO) is great. However, it takes more than a label to get a promotion. You must get comfortable shamelessly promoting yourself.
- It’s okay to get passed over for a promotion once.
- Getting passed over twice is a clear sign that something must change.
- Having a strong personal brand is critical. How people think of you when you’re not in the room matters way more than you think.
If you’re serious about getting a promotion in 2023, then now’s the time to act. I see lots of opportunities ahead, for those people who are willing to invest in their future.
© Matuson Consulting, 2022.
I’m winding down several coaching engagements, which means I have capacity to take on a few new clients. My fees will be going up in 2023. To take advantage of my current rates, we can begin before year-end.
I also work with corporate clients who are interested in helping their managers become magnetic leaders. Feel free to schedule a call with me so we can determine if we’re the right fit for one another.