The best time to hire a coach is when you need a coach. But how do you know if now is the right time to engage a coach?
I’ve hired several coaches over the years and did so for very different reasons. I’ve also been a coach for over 20 years, so I have a good idea of when hiring a coach is the right move for most.
Here are five of the best times to hire a coach:
1. You’re stuck. I’ve become stuck several times throughout my career. The way I was able to pry myself loose usually involved gaining new skills or looking at things differently. When I changed my beliefs about what was possible, everything changed. Or when I got clear on what was really important to me, a whole new path opened up to me. Should I have been able to do this on my own? Maybe. But if I could have, I would have done so already, which is why I engaged a coach.
2. You’re ready to move to the next level. You’ve gone as far as you’re going to go on your own. Perhaps you were passed over for a promotion. You’ve hit a plateau. A good coach can help you figure out what’s getting in the way of your progress. He or she can help you see blind spots that you cannot see on your own.
3. You’re a top executive. It’s lonely at the top. I know this because I’ve been there. I spent six years in the executive suite of a commercial real estate company. It’s there that I learned the importance of not letting your colleagues (or your boss) see you sweat. Fortunately for me, I had a coach who I could speak with confidentially. He saved me from making critical mistakes more times than I care to remember.
4. You’re making a transition. Maybe you’re starting a job with a new company or accepting a new role with your current employer. One thing holds true for both scenarios. There is no such thing as the first 90 days. Nope. You’re expected to perform on day one. An experienced coach, who has been where you’re headed, can safely guide you as you navigate the new terrain you’re in.
5. You’re looking to change a specific behavior. In the past, you’ve been told that a certain behavior is holding you back. At the time, you weren’t ready to deal with your situation. Now you are. A great coach can provide guidance in terms of what’s needed to shift your behavior. This person will also help hold you accountable.
©Matuson Consulting, 2020.
I’m offering a unique coaching opportunity to help you manage through this crisis. Special offer: 90-Day Coaching-$2,500.
I’ll help you respond, stay focused, and lead through this crisis with a weekly call and unrestricted email access. This is not a regular offering of mine, it’s intended to help you swiftly navigate through this new terrain.
Together we can discuss any aspect of your work, such as managing your team and your boss, seeking out a new job opportunity, identifying and implementing top priorities, maintaining focus, not feeling overwhelmed, and preparing for the recovery. I have limited openings, so if you are interested, write me at Roberta@matusonconsulting.com to learn more and sign up!