I'm a huge fan of Beloit College's annual mindset list, which is published in late August. It provides a look at the cultural touchstones that shape the lives of students in college who are scheduled to graduate in particular year. In this case, the year is 2013. Most of these students were born in the year 1991.
Here are my top 10 favorites from this year's list:
- The Green Giant has always been Shrek, not the big guy picking vegetables.
- They have never used a card catalog to find a book.
- Salsa has always outsold ketchup.
- Text has always been hyper
- They have never had to “shake down” an oral thermometer.
- Except for the present incumbent, the President has never inhaled.
- Women have always outnumbered men in college.
- Everyone has always known what the evening news was before the Evening News came on.
- There has always been blue Jell-O.
- There has always been a computer in the Oval Office.
Still think there is no need to increase understanding across the generations?