Things are starting to normalize in my business. I’ve received more inquiries in the last few weeks, than during the first half of the year. During this slow period, I’ve taken the opportunity to revamp my offerings, as well as my website. I’m getting ready for a roaring 2021. How about you?
At some point, we’ll get back to normal. Now’s the time to prepare for that moment.
When your business is fully operational, or you’re once again planning for growth, you won’t be able to staff your operation magically, nor will you be able to pull your current talent plan off the shelf and start hiring. People in your organization won’t be ready to step into leadership roles, unless you prepare them for this undertaking today.
You’ll need to create a new talent strategy—one that can be implemented quickly and efficiently. Otherwise, you’re going to be at risk of losing loyal customers, who will go elsewhere if you’re unable to meet their needs.
You’ll want to have a strong start, the moment the pandemic is behind us. To do so, you’ll need a plan for a future that in all likelihood, you haven’t anticipated—until now.
Here are a handful of questions to consider at this very moment.
- Are you currently adequately staffed? If not, what do you need to do to get people on board quickly to maintain your stellar reputation?
- What’s the post-pandemic version of your company going to look like? You need to have a sense of how your company will look in the future, so you can work backward and staff accordingly. You may have to come up with more than one scenario here.
- If you’ve got people on furlough, which team members will you bring back, and in what order? Most organizations will not be able to bring everyone together right away, which is why you need to think about the order in which you’ll ask people to return.
- What’s your plan in case some people choose not to return to your company? Do you still think everyone is going to say yes when asked to return to work? My guess is some people have already found new opportunities, which means everyone isn’t planning on returning.
- How will you release people who you no longer wish to employ? Will you wait until the pandemic has passed or will you do this now? What paperwork must you assemble to prevent future lawsuits?
Taking steps today to prepare your business for tomorrow will help you get up to speed again quickly.
Begin now and you should be in good shape going forward.
Interested in receiving The Evergreen Talent® Workbook for free – a guide to help you hire and cultivate a sustainable workforce? Hit the subscribe button to receive your free copy.